Tuesday, July 20, 2010

"I will honor my son with the name, Amar," my mother uttered as she gave birth to me and soon after left me forever. The word, Amar, signifies a long life, one that my mother was unable to fulfill. Today, I stand in the middle of my friends and family with a strength that no one can cripple. These are my brothers. I will protect them from any harm that comes their way. I may be of the same age as them, but I have put it upon myself to be their protector, their guardian. Not all of us are fortunate enough to have two healthy parents. Our tribe is all we have. Nature is our home. Outsiders might pity us, but I know that not even the wealthiest person can endure the pain and suffering my brothers and I have undergone. The richest person might be the poorest at heart.I pray for one thing. I pray that nature will be on the side of all those I love. I pray that nature will give me the one thing my mother left me with. I pray that I will fulfill the long life that my mother was unable to complete.

Formalists want readers to avoid dissecting a piece of writing based on its historical content, psychological aspect, or author's background. Formalists advocate intrinsic analysis of the text, rather than the emotions behind the author's purpose. Victor Shklovsky was a Russian Formalist whose basic theory was for people to see things with a fresh pair of eyes. He was not interested in the habitual way of viewing things. Let us view this picture and "defamiliarize" the idea of a group of African boys. They are not just skinny and barefoot boys, living in poverty, covered in raggedy garments. They are alert and keen. All six of them are aware of a picture being taken of them. The photograph shows how each of them has a unique expression on their faces, demonstrating their individuality. The three boys on the right are in fighter position. The boy in the long dress is the only one looking away from the photograph. He is ready to playfully fight someone (probably one of his friends.) He is in his own world. The one next to him is tense and might not trust the photographer or anyone who seems too friendly towards his family. The third one from left to right feels like he has no choice but to fight, if need be. The third one (from right to left) is born to confidently fight. He is ready to take this picture. He wants people to observe his confident stance. Finally, the two friends on the right are compliant with the photographers demands, just posing to take the picture. They seem intrigued by the photographer and the reasons behind why such a snapshot is being taken.
All six individuals have one thing in common, they are the face of hope even when life takes them down. This picture symbolizes power, righteousness, and change.

Shklovsky, Victor. VahiD. 2007. 30 Sept. http://www.vahidnab.com. Web.

No comments:

Post a Comment