Monday, November 8, 2010

My Daily Time, Space and Place Geography

Anthony Giddens writes that there is a social division in cutlure called front space and back space. Front space is where we put up a front; where we formally put on a show to look presentable to others in the front space environment. Back space is where we relax and take the layer of make up off our face or prepare for the next layer we need to put on.
Depending on the time of day, we move through time and space. I wake up daily in my back space which is my home and get ready for school. I drive my car to school and park. My morning coffee creates a more keen working environment for me, since it is early in the morning. As I do this I cross paths with a variety of different people and limitations. Some days I need to take a different route to school. Other days I do not have enough time to wait in life for coffee.
As school comes to an end I get back into my car and drive to work. My work space is completely different than my school space. In school I feel free, enlightened, liberated with education. At work I feel constrained to observing the limitations and social structure of a male dominated capitalistic surrounding. The funny thing is, the dominant males are the authoritative ones, but not the intelligent ones. I encounter the same colleagues, speak to worried clients, and sit in front of my melancholy desk day after day.
As I drive home to begin my homework, I find myself somewhere between time and space. Not enough time in the day and not enough space for me to catch my breath.


No comments:

Post a Comment